Thursday 26 January 2012

3 Peaks Challenge 2012 Training Log #9: tduMOTU Week - Days 1 and 2 "How's the serenity?"

This is the first post in a trilogy of posts documenting my and Team MOTU's week shadowing the
2012 Tour Down Under
*     *    *
For those who have read my previous posts, it is abundantly clear that the 2012 3 Peaks Challenge has been the primary focus of all my training for the last 11 months.  With a view to comfortably complete the route and finish the final climb into Falls Creek at the end of 235 kms, I have ridden as many kilometres and climbed as many hills as I could in and around my work and family commitments.  Health setbacks too were tackled with the same intense ruthlessness and sacrifice with a view to a fast recovery and being back on the road.  As the great Eddy Merckx said this past Saturday evening “if the head wants to do it, the body will follow”...
However... in my training regime I had always factored in the week of the 2012 Tour Down Under, which is of course a very different beast to the 3 Peaks; it too has been close to the front of my mind for the last 7 months.
The Plan // Pipe Dream
The plan to ride each day, climbing all the KOMs and to chalk up between 900 and 1,000kms in the seven days, in what could be difficult conditions, was not mine.  Whether serious or not at the time, ET and DD first postulated the idea not long after the end of the 2011 tour.  However, in June when the official tour routes for 2012 were first published, what began as “just an idea” began to take significant shape and I ran with it with exuberant enthusiasm knowing that it provided an additional goal to help maintain my focus on the often cold, wet, dark and lonely winter roads.
Whether we were all (or some of us) biting off more than we could chew only time would tell, but we knew that this would be a fantastic week to remember; there was a good chance of pain and general exhaustion yes, but there would also be a lot of fun, great laughs, the strengthening of existing friendships and possibly the creation of new ones.
Our own routes were planned, contingency arrangements considered, social engagements in and around the week organised, and of course suitably “pro” team name determined and jersey designed (recognising, of course our many sponsors...) :p  This is definitely the subject worthy of its own separate Blog post!
The Preparation
In my head I have essentially labelled the “3 Peaks” as a single day “classic”, whereas the week of the tour akin to riding a personal “stage race”.  This is of course not to suggest the latter is harder than the former (or vice versa), rather that they are different and, as is the mental and physical approach to be taken.  Consequentially, in my training I have tried to accommodate both; for example, recovery time needs to be faster in a multiday tour as is a whole of week focus, as opposed to putting it all on the line in a single day.
Consequentially, my training during the Christmas and New Year period changed, and my mental preparation and dietary build up varied.  I shan’t embarrass myself with detail, because I fear that nutritionists and the more experienced among you will pick (the many) flaws in my approach.  Though in hindsight, I can happily say that whatever I did seemed to work.
I also ensured my bike mechanically was up to scratch for the week ahead, taking it in to be serviced/rebuilt in the days ahead of the tour by the great guys at BMCR.  What I had hoped would be quite routine ended up being quite expensive, as in only the 11 months that I have had my Cannondale I had managed to completely wear out my rear cassette and crack slightly the front derailleur, needing both (and the chain) to be replaced.  To be honest, I'm actually not all that surprised given the kilometres in the 11 months, and some of the gearing issues I was having over Christmas.
I have also worn thin my rear wheel, but believe it safe enough to survive until just before the 3 Peaks in March.  New wheels will be acquired in the final few weeks, but will be changed beforehand if I consider them truly unsafe.
The tduMOTU Week That Was…
It is very difficult to presently write a detailed piece for each day without turning this series of post into a thesis.  Given this, I think the better approach is to try to be as succinct as I can in illustrating the ride and highlighting (in bullet form) the things that stick in my mind and will do so for a long time to come.  Also, pictures tell a thousand words so I hope the pictures in this (and later two posts) and the video above assist in illustrating the experience and atmosphere.
I have also noted the MOTU members who rode, and the kilometres ridden, though acknowledge that not all members rode the precisely the same:
Day 1 - “Ride Like Crazy” (ET, DD, and ZZ): 133 km and 1,610 m of elevation:
The morning of Day 1 was always going to be the “Ride Like Crazy”; a cancer fundraising event boasting (as I understand it) as many as 3,000 riders.   An extremely pleasant route up the Old Freeway to Crafers, before returning in and around the Adelaide Hills.  Not a taxing ride, but an incredibly well organised one for a cause where there is comfort that an extremely high percentage of the registration monies go to cancer research.
·                Slept well and woke feeling “ready” and quietly confident, albeit with a healthy mix of nerves for the week ahead.
·                Weather conditions in the morning were perfect for riding.
·                Heard/watched Greenedge's new anthem for the first time whilst eating breakfast - an apt song for myself that week I thought too;
Greenedge Lasses descending into Cudlee Creek
whilst I repaired my flat
·                Found the number of persons who rolled out early and whom I was catching on the climb up the Old Freeway incredibly surprising.  I always wonder, what's the point, but aren't too bothered by it this morning;
·                ET's constructive advice in managing the bunch was useful – I was taking too many turns up front and needed to be more assertive in getting assistance from the wheel suckers hanging on for a free ride.
·                Punctured on Gorge Road past Cudlee Creek requiring me to stop, though it did allow me to watch the very resplendent Greenedge girls ride past.
·                My 11 year old rode the final 51km and did extremely well.  He was very proud of his efforts (as was I of him).
B2 watching the Down Under Classic
Splashing good times to be had here
The afternoon of Day 1 was spent back at my place for “Team” family poolside BBQ ahead of heading into the city for the TDU Classic.  An incredibly fun afternoon with all the lads, spouses and children, both by the pool and at the city circuit!


Day 2 - Rest Day Riding (ZZ): 91 km and 1,495 m of elevation
Following the previous day's poolside festivities and the excitement of the evening's Tour Down Under Classic today was a planned “D.I.Y” day for MOTU.  For some, it was resting ahead of the longer rides later in the week, others the drudgery of the office, but for me an opportunity to get back in saddle ahead of meeting some of the lads at lunch in the Tour Village in Victoria Square.
My planned route had me ride up the Gorge before turning to ride through Lobethal and the Lobe Road and Mount Lofty Summit, roads that I had anticipated seeing some of the pro-teams in their final day's training.
·                One of the best solo days on the road I have had in a long time.  I just felt extremely relaxed, comfortable and alive!!  In no hurry and being able to just enjoy “the serenity” I can’t recall looking at my bike computer once, bar later to see the time of day.
·                Passed the occasional group of interstate club riders (recognisable by their kit), looking at times confused at intersections not knowing where precisely to turn – I always called out if I could assist.
·                Passed Radioshack-Nissen-Trek between Ashton and Summertown.  Big Jens was out front.  There was not a single “tagger” following, and I thought why intrude myself, so let them ride without my poor company hanging off the back.
·                Sitting and relaxing later with some of the lads at the tour village later was great; I love sitting down and just “people watching”.  We noticed a considerable number of autograph hunters out to get the signatures of Australian cyclists recognisable by their Greenedge kit..., not recognising other Australian stars who happen to be wearing other team kits (eg, Haussler, Rogers, Renshaw...).  Oh, BMC were pretty popular too... “the Cadel effect”.
·                Arrived home mid afternoon to continue drink, eat, drink, eat, drink... ahead of Day 3... (TBC in Part 2 coming soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment