Friday 6 January 2012

3 Peaks Challenge 2012 Training Log #8: Holiday training...

Two weeks since my last log, and towards the end of my holiday’s it is appropriate that I try and briefly summarise my recent training efforts.  You will also note from what follows that I even had the opportunity to take a few pictures.
Monday 26 December 2011 – Thursday 29 December 2011:  Trainer spinning
There was very little in terms of road riding in the week immediately following Christmas (and my Christmas morning 130km One Tree Hill-Menglars loop).  It was the Christmas week after all, and being the first week of my holidays after spending so much time at work, it goes without saying that time spent with my Boys took priority for me.

When not out on the road I merely spun the legs on the trainer, and continued to obsessively monitor both my diet and map out my training regime moving forward. 

Whilst some may see me as being slight, believe it or not, I gained a kilogram in weight that week!  Despite no scientific backing, I put this extra kilogram down to most likely an increase in muscle mass, slight swelling of my liver, and/or faulty electronic bathroom scales… :p
Friday 30 December 2011 – Thursday 5 January 2012:  542km and 8,191m of climbing
Gorge Road - 30 December 2011
FINALIST in CyclingTips WYMTM Photo competion :o)
LINK TO VOTE
I am not a fan of long flats or coastal riding.  Give me undulating roads and a hill to climb any day of the week.  Give me the opportunity to get out of the saddle and try to punch out a short rise, or to get into a rhythm and climb a monster.  I just love it!!  

Consequently, my training efforts on the road (x4) during this seven day period had me strategically setting and riding routes through the Hills, and taking the opportunity to additionally survey certain roads/timings ahead of the Tour Down Under, which we will be following on the road each day.  There was certainly no spontaneity to my riding… I guess that (sadly) differentiates “training” from “social riding”.

On the way to Mount Torrens from Lobethal
I am pleased with the kilometers (542km) and the amount of climbing (8,191m), though I always wish I could have done more and feel guilty by any temptation to lift off or take a shortcut.  Consumption was very good and my muscles presented no signs of muscle damage.

In addition, I was very happy for company when the opportunity for such presented itself, but also thought it healthy to mentally train for the 3 Peaks in being solo on the road for some long hours as well.

I copy below select maps/profiles & immediate postride summary:
·                Friday 30 December 2011
Much extended CFFRS this morning.  An extremely early start to ascend Greenhill ahead of meeting the others at the Tower Hotel to begin the extended route up hill and down dale. The North-North Easterly made things difficult ascending Greenhill and Norton, but was forgotten as we got down to business ascending Forest Range and the rest. Took me a while to warmup the legs, but once they "kicked in", they were good. Consumption and hydration in the (very hot) conditions was so important, and I managed it well.  
30 Dec 2011
Took on the Corkscrew, and won!
Ended ascending Lofty solo which I found easy and comfortable, though it was spiced up when Stuey in stealth mode (after saying hello as he passed) Cat 6’d me with ~300metres to the Summit on his lovely brand new Greenedge Scott bike (though wearing Leopard Trek kit).  He was in the Big Dog and was flying!  I tried to keep up with him, but this was made difficult by tourists in a car positioning themselves between Stuey and I so they could hang out their window and take some “snaps” on the very narrow road whilst driving!

·                Saturday 31 December 2011
Another century plus, climbing early to beat the extreme heat.  Through the Gorge, and then up and down ahead of Old Mount Barker Road and finally through Aldgate up to Stirling, Crafters and Lofty; a beautiful morn to be out early!

4 Jan 2012
·                Wednesday 4 January 2011Beautiful morning for a ride with Snappy through the Hills (Belair, Clarendon, Wickhams Hill, Willunga, Aldgate and Lofty) and along the ridges inbetween.
Overall pace was quite good with Snappy and I putting head down and bum up, particularly on small gradient climb between the top of Willunga and Meadows, and between Meadows and Echunga. Head wind ascending Willunga was interesting but Snappy and I managed it quite comfortably allowing ourselves to move up and down the gears, and in and out the saddle as required.
The Aldgate Valley Road was, as always a lovely scenic ride, and curiously we encountered less than expected bicycle traffic along the way.
In short a lovely ride to road test the new Team MOTU jersey, and not bad for only 2.5hours sleep - don't ask long story.

·                Thursday 5 January 2011
A century ride to take into the first two major climbs of Stage 4 of the TDU2012; Anstey's Hill and Norsworthy Road. The headwind head up Anstey got things off to a difficult start but by Norworthy Road the wind appeared to have dropped off slightly though was ever present. In terms of difficulty the Hills weren't anything to be too concerned about. Body felt flat today and I was glad for having set myself only a "short" route.
Friday 6 January 2012 – 38km and 733m of climbing

This morning was mentally tough, and was a piss poor effort on my part!


Sleep this week has been considerably difficult and had a noticeable impact on me; physically yes, but more so on my mental/emotional state of mind on the bike when facing nature’s elemental forces.


This morning’s 35km/hr wind and cold temperature (10°) was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  I “bonked” after basically 30km.  Not physically, but mentally.  I had no enthusiasm for continuing today’s planned 140km route.  Even the company of my friends for the most part of the route was insufficient motivation for me to fight into the wind and pull some long turns on the front. 


I felt so sick of training, so impatient for what it is I’ve been training for, and I missed the “fun” of cycling.  I have felt like I’ve been doing so much training in the last 6 months (whether it be on the road, on the trainer, or mentally thinking/overanalyzing every aspect) and fighting to overcome the lost fitness which was caused by October’s diagnosis of glandular fever.  Consequently, this morning I thought “fuck it – I’m going home”, so departed with Snappy to a final token ascent of Lofty before descending and a nice shower at home.


I’m cool.  I’m not over cycling, and if the opportunity arises to head out for a short spin tomorrow, I will, but in terms of major training rides between now and the Tour Down Under, I have had enough.  I am going to focus over the next week on mixing easy riding, with rest, consumption and relaxation.  Further, my Cannondale is booked in to be completely serviced at and rebuilt at BMCR ensuring it is better than brand new.


The week of the TDU kicks off on Sunday 15 January and the plan is for Team MOTU to ride each day from then to Saturday 21 January… it is going to be fun, and this body is going to be sore by the end of it!!


Will try and short post during that time, but we’ll be tweeting throughout from the ground – HashTag: #tduMOTU or Follow: @zzimmzamm


ZZ


  
Gratuitious modelling of new Team MOTU Jersey


Ascending Willunga Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment