Tuesday 7 February 2012

3 Peaks Challenge 2012 Training Log #12: In addition to my Cannondale CAAD10... [my checklists]

Ahead of the 3 Peaks I have given considerable thought to what it is I need to pack and bring with me to Falls Creek, and of course carry with me on the road. 
The following are my own lists of what it is I intend to bring/carry.  These lists will no doubt be subject to change between now and March 11 following further thought and discussion with others. 
Notably, I have not presently cared to explain in detail my reasoning for various items and/or calculations of quantums, but needless to say over the last 7 months I have considered each item in detail, sourced and road tested them all as I have trained.  For example, nutrionally I am extremely comfortable with what I can consume on the road (together with when and how much), and during the MOTU Enduro and the tduMOTU I intentionally carried on my back the weight that I anticipate I will be carrying.
These lists will essentially form a final checklist for me in the final week as I pack for the airport.
Clothing
·                2 x ride kits for which considerable thought has been given; comprising:
-                 SealSkinz Waterproof socks <= Definitely worth the expense;
-                 Assos T FI.Uno_S5 bib knicks <= I find incredibly comfortably;
-                 Black merino wool long sleave AC jersey <= Comfortable, warm, retro and representative of Adelaide Cyclists (NOTE:  Must still enquire as borrowing a 2nd jersey from someone);
-                 Team MOTU short sleave jersey <= For whom I ride; and
-                 base layer.
Note: One (dry) kit will be left with the rider valet to be changed into half way if need be.
·                1 x BBB WaterFlex booties
·                1 x leg warmers
·                1 x arm warmers
·                1 x Sportful sleeveless pro cut wind vest <= Unsure yet as to whether this will qualify as a rain jacket.  I doubt it, so further thought will need to be given.
·                1 x Garneau shoes
·                1x Giro Ionis helmet
·                1 x Oakley Jawbones - prescription, with both persimmon and black iridium polarised lens
·                1 x Gore long fingered undergloves
·                1 x short fingered gloves
·                1 x beanie
Tools, Food & Other to be carried on the Ride (or to leave with rider valet)
·                1 x Kathmandu Particle 2L backpack <= By far the best backpack for such an event as the 3 Peaks (NOTE: I never bothered with getting the optional hydration bladder).
·                1 x Garmin Edge 500
·                1 x iPhone 4GS
·                2 x 710ml Camelbak bidons <= Unsure whether Bicycle Network at literal when they say 2 x 750ml bidons are compulsory
·                4 x spare tubes
·                5 x CO2 canisters
·                1 x bike/C02 pump
·                1 x chain breaker
·                1 x bike tool swiss army thingamajiggy
·                3 x bike levers
·                1 x puncture repair kit
·                6 x SIS Go Bars
·                8 x SIS Go Gels
·                8 x SIS Smart Gels
·                14 scoops powered Powerade
·                4 x fruit buns
·                1 x Cygolite Expillion 250 lumen white front light <= query whether to borrow and bring a second (??)
·                1 x red flashing rear light <= query whether to bring spare batteries (??)
·                Bike video camera <= Still need to acquire/borrow.
Other specific items making the journey (but will stay in apartment, suitcase)
·                Vaseline/Butt Crème
·                Dinner ingredients & other food stuffs for Saturday day/evening <= anticipate acquiring most from Bright on way to Falls Creek from the airport
·                Dinner ingredients for breakfast
·                Protein powder for post ride recovery
·                Tools required for unpacking/packing bike
·                Possibly something to help me sleep
Please note regarding food stuffs.  Post ride I don’t really give a shit, but pre ride I anticipate being somewhat fussy.  The last thing I want to do is potentially eat out and/or eat something which may not sit well with me (either when I sleep or am on the bike the next day); I know what has fuelled me for the last twelve months and ahead of long training rides etc – why rock the boat for the sake of laziness.
*          *          *
Im just hoping that I can bring it all on the plane with me without too much stress... Having paid extra to checkin additional items, it should be cool.  Time will tell.

8 comments:

  1. Hey mate

    Some ideas on your list...

    Wouldn't worry about spare lights or batteries. Its only dark for the first 20-30 min and they will pull you into the sag wagon long before its really dark at night.

    You will need a pedal spanner...I can lend you one.

    And a track pump...might want to ask BV if they will be providing one. Otherwise stick in in the bike box (how much luggage allowance have you got?)

    Unless you are in love with your CO2 cannisters I'd ditch them as well in favour of a frame pump (or ditch the frame pump and keep the canisters, its all excess weight that you are going to have to haul over mountains). I'm pretty sure there was a bike shop tent at Dinner Plain so if you run out of tubes by the half way mark you can buy some more.

    Throw in $20 in case you want to buy a coffee or can of coke along the way (Dinner Plain and Omeo being the only places I can remember).

    Pack as much heavy stuff into carry on luggage. I use one of those small wheeled suitcase things and its amazing how much you can fit in there (cycling shoes, 3 sets of cycling clothes, 3 sets of normal clothes, spare tubes). About the only thing you have to put in the bike box is tools and anything withe dangerous metal parts.

    Carry your helmet as carry on too.

    Oh and chuck in a pair of normal riding sox...you might be lucky and get a dry warm day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DD, good advice - will follow up with BicycleNetwork re inter alia bikepump and confirmation of rules regarding bidons, bike floor pump and also that there will be bike shop-tent on the route.

      In answer to yoru question, I have 23kg (x2) of checkon baggage, in addition to obviously carryon so should be good.

      Delete
  2. Officially you can't carry CO2 cartridges on the plane. You risk having them confiscated or worse yet the whole bag they are in left behind. Buy some in Melbourne (or Wangaratta or maybe Bright) on the way.

    BTW I think you have way too many spare tubes and cartridges. As long as you have sensible tyres you should be fine. I only saw one puncture being repaired on the ACE 250 last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamish, big thanks for the C02 headsup - a bag left behind is not something I fancy.

      As for no of tubes/cartridges etc, I tend to agree! I do tend to be the paranoid type despite my having a pretty good history (touch wood) with not getting punctures. Murphy's Law I am concerned might bite me in the bum if I'm under resourced. My thoughts were to carry only two tubes on the bike with me (with the other two within the rider valet bag etc to use if by then I have used one/two already). Ditto re C02.

      I will also be riding on some new Conti GP4 Seasons which should, I hope, be sufficient to minimise the risk of puncture.

      Delete
    2. The 4 Seasons is a good choice, I'd be surprised if you get any punctures with those. I used GP4000s. I had two tubes and cartridges with me and used none. Good luck, enjoy the ride.

      Delete
  3. PS BikeVic (BicycleNetwork) have advised that reference to 750ml in their FAQ as being compulsory is a recommendation and that 710ml bidons are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brett,
    There's a decent little bike shop in Bright if you need to pick up c02 cannisters etc on the way. I agree with the previous comments that you have too many spare tubes etc - I'd stick with 2 in the backpack and another 2 in the valet pack for security - you can always bum one off someone else if needed. I'd also scratch the puncture kit.
    The $20 sounds like a good idea, and maybe whack a fiver in there as well - always makes a good temporary measure if you cut a tyre.
    Only other thing would maybe be a couple of nurofen tablets in the valet bag if you do have a stack or something.
    Go team motu rider.
    Cheers, Brad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad, re puncture kit - I tend to agree having never ever in my cycling life used a puncture kit roadside. However, Bicycle Vic have listed it as a "compulsory item". Unsure as to how strict they are and whether its more recommended than compulsory.

      The suggestion for nurofen is a good one too, and I will add it to my list.

      Delete